Sunday, July 24, 2011

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo was a mexican painter, and she did not receive any training for art. She got into a huge accident when she was in the bus and she went through tons of operation, but she didn't fully recover from the start, plus she drinks and she smokes, so a lot of pain and discomfort  follows her for the rest of her life. Her paintings express a lot of pain with imagination(surrealism). I love how she has a strong opinion and attitude towards literally EVERYTHING. 


"I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best." 
"I was born a bitch. I was born a painter."- Kahlo


I have to say she married the wrong guy ! Diego Rivera is kind of an asshole, he promised to be loyal to her but cheated like a hundred times and ended up sleeping with Frida's sister. What kind of monster is that!  but she also had a few one night stands with male/female lovers. Well, at least he was there for her at the end when she was dying and finally got her first solo exhibition in Mexico. 


Kahlo- Little Dear 1946

Kahlo- The Broken Column 1944




ps. the movie is called Frida. (2002) :)






Reference: 


Andrea Kettenmann, Frida Kahlo. Frida Kahlo, 1907–1954: pain and passion page 27
Finding Frida Kahlo

No comments:

Post a Comment